Your drainfield is an essential part of your septic system. Yet, it’s easy to disregard because it’s out of sight and out of mind. Here are a few way you can shied your field:
- Don’t allow vehicles to park or drive over any part of your septic system. Not only can this crush pipes, it compacts the soil which adversely effects the ability of the wastewater to move through it.
- Don’t build over any part of your system. Examples: garages, sheds, guest houses, pools, patios, sidewalks, driveways, etc.
- Keep the vegetation short. Tall vegetation does not allow proper air flow into the soil which affects the system.
- Keep grass over the system. Vegetation and grass root growth is needed for part of treatment of the wastewater.
- Don’t plant gardens in the area as this can cause your food to be contaminated.
- Don’t over water your lawn., divert rainwater away from your drainfield and prevent rainwater from pooling over it. If your system is flooded with rainwater, it will have no room to accept the water coming from your house.
Have questions? We are ready to help! Call us today!