No one likes their yard being dug up. Unfortunately, that’s the only way to properly clean out a septic tank if the lids are buried. There are ways to make locating your lids easier, and to avoid digging each time. The best way is to install a septic tank riser over the access lid(s) to your tank.
There are many pros but not many con’s to installing risers. Let’s go over them!
- Your yard will not have to be dug up when the tank is pumped
- Pumping will no longer require digging up your landscaping if placed over the tank
- Your tank will be easy to locate
- You may save money on septic tank cleaning since the tank will not need to be located or dug up
- They can be installed by the owner or a septic company
- They come in a variety of brands so you can get the look you want for the price you want
- They come in a variety of height
- They come in a variety of width
- The lids can be properly secured ensuring they are safe
- They can be installed to be exposed at ground level, or they can be installed to be buried a few inches so they are still easy to access without seeing them in your yard
- They will bring your lids into compliance if your lids are buried deep
- It will make it easier to monitor your system for backup in the tank
- There is an upfront expense
- If you have more than one lid, the expense will be greater
- If the lids are not secure, then they can be tampered with – so be sure they are always secure
- If the lids are visible, they may not be aesthetically appealing
- Lids and risers may require replacement after many years
- Roots can grow around the riser, but pulling the roots each time the tank is pumped can usually keep them from causing a problem
- Rainwater can enter the tank if the tank is in an area where rainwater ponds or runs off, which could cause unintentional consequences to your septic system
Thinking of installing a riser? Call us to find out more! We sell and install Tuff Tite risers. You can purchase them from our office to install them yourself, or give us a call and we’ll take care of it for you.